Looking for the best drain cleaners? A clogged drain can be a headache, and it can easily lead to thousands of dollars in damage if you don’t catch it right away and you end up with a flooded room. If you have several drains or a large family, clogged drains can be a recurring issue that is very frustrating. The more your drain clogs, the harder it can be to unclog it and keep it in good working order. The best drain cleaner can help you get rid of all blocks, and it’s a great way to clean out your drainage system in general.
This can also save you money because it can prevent you from having to call a plumber because you can unclog the drain yourself. If you’re curious what the top 10 best drain cleaners are, you’re in the right place. I’ll outline them below, and you can use our buying guide to help narrow down the top 10 to the best for your project.
Using the drain cleaner routinely can help you avoid expensive repair bills and it’ll reduce the chances you have to call a plumber to fix your problem.
- 1. Drano Max Gel Drain Clog Remover
- 2. Thrift Marketing Drain Cleaner
- 3. Professor Amos’ SuperFast Drain Cleaner
- 4. Whink Hair Clog Blaster!
- 5. Green Gobbler Drain Clog Remover
- 6. Comstar Pure Lye Drain Opener
- 7. Xion Lab Acting Drain Cleaner
- 8. RID-X Septic Tank System Treatment
- 9. GreenPig Solutions Concentrated Formula
- 10. Bio-Clean Drain Septic Bacteria
- Best Drain Cleaner – Buyer’s Guide
- Buying Considerations
- Bottom Line
1. Drano Max Gel Drain Clog Remover
As one of the best drain cleaners on the market and backed by a reputable brand, it can help you tackle a big number of problems around your home. You can clear your drains and clean your stainless steel sink after for a sparking kitchen, or it works well in the bathroom. It is easy to use, penetrates through standing water and will clear stubborn clogs within 15 to 30 minutes after the initial application. It has a non-corrosive formula that works for commercial and residential applications, and you can use it on all types of pipes.
This drain cleaner has a thick gel makeup that dissolves both soap scum and hair clogs, and this makes it a powerful tool for cleaning out your bathroom drains. You can use it in the laundry sink and in the kitchen. For clogged garbage disposals, it’ll cut through these problems too. If the drain is still clogged after 30 minutes, give the solution overnight to work. You can buy a two, four, or six pack, and it comes in an 80-ounce bottle that is large enough for repeated uses.
- Has a thicker gel formula
- Can work in 15 to 30 minutes
- Non-corrosive makeup
- Doesn’t work with toilets
- Have to use half the bottle per treatment
- Strong smell that lingers
2. Thrift Marketing Drain Cleaner
This drain cleaner works well on a variety of clogs in kitchen drains, the bathroom, grease traps, or in septic systems and sewer lines. You’ll get a high sodium hydroxide formula in the crystals, and this boosts the bacteria growth in your septic system to encourage fewer clogs. It comes designed to work very fast, and all you have to do is dilute the crystals in hot water before pouring them into the drain. Once you do, it can clear out the clogs in under 60 seconds. When it hits the sink, the liquid turns to foam and bubbles.
The bubbling action is what works to break down the type of clog, but it means you should put on protective eyewear like glasses and gloves to prevent accidental splashes. This drain cleaner is odorless, but it can produce fumes. Only use it if your room has a lot of ventilation to prevent yourself from being overwhelmed with it. It comes in a two-pound pack of dry crystals, and you can choose from a two, three, four, or five pack when you order to get up to 10 pounds of product.
- Easy to Use, bubbles on contact
- Can work in 60 seconds or less
- Safe for a broad range of drains
- Slows down on large clogs
- Creates fumes
- Need a lot of ventilation to safely use
3. Professor Amos’ SuperFast Drain Cleaner
One of the most frustrating things that can happen in your home is a clogged toilet, and this drain cleaner can help take care of this problem for you while preventing it from recurring. This cleaner uses a specially accelerated makeup that is versatile, and you can easily use it in your laundry tubs, kitchen sinks, bathroom drains, septic tanks, public sewers, and any floor drainage system you have like in your basement. It is a less caustic formula, and this means that it’s safe to use on all types of pipes without corroding them.
This formula is good four four to six different applications per bottle, and it uses a slightly thicker liquid to dissolve clogs and clear out your drains. This drain cleaner works to get rid of fat, food, grease, hair and soap scum. It turns the blockages into a liquid state that will pass through your drain. All you have to do is apply it and turn on the hot water to activate it. It’s great for older homes because it doesn’t have any fumes or violent reactions.
- Easy to use, very versatile
- Each bottle gives you four or six applications
- Works well in older homes
- Doesn’t work well in garbage disposals
- Needs more than one application to work
- More expensive for the amount you get
4. Whink Hair Clog Blaster!
If you have a lot of hair in your drains that cause constant problems, this could be the drain cleaner to help fix it. You can use it for residential and commercial drains, and it should clear the hair or clog out between 5 and 10 minutes after you apply it. Since it works so well on hair, the most popular uses are for bathtub or sink drains. It’s a very thick formula that slips through standing water to dissolve soap scum and clogs, but it’s safe to use in your septic tank. Additionally, it works well in different types of pipe without damaging them.
You can pour this drain cleaner into PVC, metal, or plastic pipe without worrying about it damaging it or breaking it down. To use it, pour it with running water into your clogged area. Once the standing water starts to drain, switch on the hot water and let it flush out your pipe. There are no reactions or fumes with this product, and this makes it safe to use around pets and kids. You only need a little to take on your clogs, and this helps to save you money.
- Gets through standing water
- Easy to Use
- Very cost-effective
- Takes longer for larger clogs
- Shouldn’t use in kitchen sinks or toilets
- May not keep the clog away for long
5. Green Gobbler Drain Clog Remover
This drain cleaner has a formula that weighs more than water. This means that it’ll sink through the water and cling to the clog to dissolve it from the inside out, even with standing water. This thicker formula works great if you’re trying to clean your bathtub because it can dissolve soap scum and hair. Additionally, it also works well on baby wipes, toilet paper, feminine products, and fats. It’s non-flammable and non-corrosive, and you can safely use it on all types of drainage systems throughout your home without damaging them.
If you have a septic system, shower or bathtub drain, toilet blockage, or a bathroom and kitchen sink you want to fix or maintain, this is one of the best drain cleaners available. It’s an environmentally-friendly product that won’t irritate your skin or eyes, and it’s biodegradable. You get two pre-measured applications in dual-chambered bottles with this product, and all you have to do is pour it into your blocked area and flush it with warm water. There is a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and you can leave it sit overnight for stubborn clogs.
- Comes pre-measured
- Environmentally-friendly with a biodegradable bottle
- Won’t irritate your skin if you splash it on yourself
- Only get two uses per bottle
- Slightly weaker formula
- Takes a long time to work
6. Comstar Pure Lye Drain Opener
This is the best drain cleaner available if you want an industrial-strength option that will tackle problems with clogged drains in your bathtub, toilet, kitchen, grease traps, garbage disposals, and septic system. It has a pure lye formula that will cut through organic matter blocking your pipes, and this includes things like tree roots and standard clogs. You can easily use it for commercial or residential purposes, and it can take on small or large clogs without a problem. You’ll get small granules that are non-acidic, and they’re also biodegradable.
This drain cleaner is safe for use on plastic pipes, chrome, and high-end fixtures. Lye is a harsh chemical, so you do want to wear gloves and eye protection to prevent it from burning your eyes and skin if you accidentally splash it on yourself. All you have to do is pour the granules around your clogged area and add hot water. This will activate the lye, and it’ll start to burn through your clog. Give it 5 to 10 minutes to work before flushing it with hot water.
- Industrial-strength product
- Can burn through tree roots
- Very fast and effective
- Can burn your skin if it comes into contact
- Will eat through aluminum
- Has a very strong smell
7. Xion Lab Acting Drain Cleaner
This drain cleaner comes from the United States, and it works on all types of drains. You can use it to unclog your dishwasher, kitchen and bathroom sinks, toilets, and bathtubs or showers. This is a non-toxic drain cleaner, and it uses a hydroxide formulation liquid that is industrial strength. It’s odorless, thick, and formulated to be non-splash when you pour it in. This liquid is thick enough to sink through the water and cling to any blockages before breaking them down. It generates gases and heat to effectively dissolve the clog.
To use this drain cleaner, pour 16-ounces into any clogged rain you have. Let it work for 30 minutes. This is how long it takes to get rid of soap scum, grease, oil, fat, hair, and more. It’s non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-corrosive. The trick to this formula is the high pH level, and this makes it safe to use on any type of pipe without breaking it down. It has a 100% money-back guarantee if you don’t like it, and it is registered with the NSF for safety.
- NSF registered for safety
- 100% money-back guarantee attached
- Non-splash and non-toxic
- Won’t work on paper-based clogs
- Doesn’t work on total blockages
- Can take more than one application to work
8. RID-X Septic Tank System Treatment
If you need a solution to embarrassing odors emitting from your toilet, chronic blockages, and a way to make your septic system last longer, this is the best drain cleaner available on the market. RID-X created a septic treatment product that has 100% natural enzymes and bacteria. These things work to break down waste, grease, paper, sludge, and any other organic materials that could cause your toilet or septic system to clog. There are no harsh chemicals in the formal, and this makes it safe to use without worrying about it irritating your skin.
It’s also gentle on your caps, hoses, valves, plumbing, and pipes, no matter the materials. You can use it in your boat, RV, in a portable toilet, or in any septic system up to 1,500 gallons. All you have to do for this drain cleaner to work is flush eight ounces down the toilet so it gets into your septic tank. They start working in 15 minutes, and you should see the drain starting to clear. After a few days, the odor will vanish. You should apply it and let it sit, so put it in before bed or before you leave for work in the morning and let it work. Every bottle will work for six months, so it’s a cost-effective option.
- Works well for ongoing septic system maintenance e
- Very cost-effective
- One purchase works for six months of treatment
- Directions are vague
- Doesn’t work well on large clogs
- Recent price jumps
9. GreenPig Solutions Concentrated Formula
Maybe you’re building an extension on your home for kids or another family member and want to ensure your septic system can handle more usage. If so, this is the drain cleaner that can clear sludge and clogs from a septic tank up to 1,500 gallons. It has a bacterial solution that multiples when you use it. This allows this product to break down a host of clogs like solid waste, paper, grease, and sludge. The bacteria will absorb raw sewage that can build up over time inside your septic tank and cause clogs.
Additionally, this drain cleaner also works to clean out a sand mound or drain field, leach field, and your septic tank lines. You get four soluble bacteria packets per order for multiple applications, and you use one packet each month. All you have to do is open the package, pour it into your toilet, give it a few minutes to start breaking down, and flush it. This is a cost-effective and easy option to help you avoid an expensive problem with your septic tank down the line.
- One purchase is good for a year
- Pre-measured packages
- Easy to use
- Difficult to tell how effective it is
- May need to use it more than every three months
- Takes time to dissolve
10. Bio-Clean Drain Septic Bacteria
This drain cleaner is also for your septic system to help extend how long it lasts without backing up and causing thousands in damage. It comes with 100% natural bacteria in the formula, and it has enzymes as well to help break down and digest a broad range or organic waste. It works well on food particles, soap scum, hair, grease, cotton, and paper. Every 30 minutes, the amount of bacteria doubles and spread through your septic system to help restore your system to maximum capacity. It works to eliminate odors as well.
You get two pounds of powder with this drain cleaner, and this amount is enough for over 100 different drain treatments. It’s extremely easy to use, and all you have to do is mix it with warm water before pouring it into your toilet. This will activate the bacteria and enzymes, and you let them stand for up to an hour to work on the clog. It doesn’t boil or release fumes, and you can use it on plastic and metal pipes without a problem. For the best results, use once a month.
- Used in federally-inspected poultry and meat plants
- 100% natural enzymes and bacteria
- Controls odors and breaks down clogs
- Doesn’t work on non-organic waste
- More expensive for the amount you get
- Takes time to work for the first time
Best Drain Cleaner – Buyer’s Guide
The best drain cleaner will keep your entire drainage and septic system in top shape for years, and you won’t have as many issues with it.
When it comes to trying to pick out the best drain cleaner, there are a few factors that you have to consider before you settle on one specific product with the different types of drain cleaners. Doing so will help you narrow down your choices to prevent your drainage system from backing up in your yard and causing your home insurance premium to skyrocket.
- Drain Cleaner Type – Do you want to mix your drain cleaner or do you want it to come pre-mixed and ready to go? Always take a look at the instructions before you buy the drain cleaner to ensure you don’t pick a product you have trouble using. If you do, it won’t be as effective and it could cause damage to your pipes.
- Blockage Type – The types of blockages you usually have at your home or business play a pivotal role in what drain cleaner to get. If you get more stubborn blockages, you’ll need a thicker formula to break it down. Test this by pouring a bit of hot water down the drain. If it sits, you need something stronger. If it doesn’t, you can get away with granulas or a thinner drain cleaner.
- Maintenance – How much do you maintain your drainage system? This matters because it dictates how severe your clogs can be. If you perform monthly maintenance, you most likely won’t have a lot of issues. However, if you’ve skipped your maintenance, you may need a more powerful product to pick up your slack. The clogs can be larger and more stubborn to remove.
- Budget – Your budget will play a role in the drain cleaner you choose, but it is usually beneficial to spend more upfront for a quality product. If you don’t, you could find yourself spending more money on cheaper products because the first one doesn’t work as well as you hoped it would.
- House Size – How big is you home or business and around how many people use your drainage system? The more people and the larger it is, the more they use it. In turn, you can get more frequent and larger clogs that will need a stronger product to break them down.
- Septic System – Your septic tank and pipes need maintenance and are prone to clogs and breaking down just like your other drains. You should get a product that is safe to use on your septic system as well as your drains.
- Pipe Type – Some of the best drain cleaners are too caustic for PVC or aluminum pipes. Double-check and see which types of pipes you have in your home and make sure your drain cleaner is safe to use with them. If it’s not, it can cause damage.
Drain cleaner can help extend the life of your drainage system, but there are considerations you want to keep in mind when you shop for the best drain cleaners.
How to Use the Drain Cleaner Safely
Drain cleaner can be very caustic, and this means that it can very easily burn your skin or cause issues if you get it into your eyes. This is why you want to thoroughly read all of the instructions on your product before you attempt to use it. This is where you’ll see the safety precautions. You have to follow these warnings to ensure you don’t have an accident when you use your drain cleaner. It’ll also improve the best drain cleaner’s effectiveness.
Depending on the type of drain cleaner you get, you may have to wear safety glasses or goggles, gloves, and a face mask. Others require you to be in a well-ventilated area because it can produce fumes when the cleaner combines with water. Also, it may have to sit for a specific number of minutes to be the most effective, and all of this will be on the bottle. It varies from cleaner to cleaner.
Along with everything we mentioned above on the best drain cleaners, there are several other things you want to consider when you shop for a drain cleaner. Using these considerations will help you narrow down your choices. They include but are not limited to:
How much time do you have to sit and wait for your product to work? Maybe you want to really clean your windows and screens in the bathtub, but you only have a few hours. If so, you need a drain cleaner that works quicker than others. Take a look at the recommended time limit on your drain cleaner. Some are a few minutes, but others can have a recommended time of overnight.
Think about how long you can leave your drain cleaner sit in your sink or tub before you need to use it because this will influence which product you buy.
Natural products that contain non-toxic ingredients usually have fewer fumes than drain cleaners with a heavy chemical content. These chemicals can produce fumes when you mix them to get the product to work or introduce water to them. These fumes can be dangerous to breathe in, so you want to make sure you have great ventilation when you use them. You also may want to use a face mask.
Types of Drain Cleaners
Do you want a gel drain cleaner (eg. Drano Max Gel Clog Remover), liquid drain cleaner, or granular drain cleaner? Gel drain cleaners are nice for stubborn clogs because they sink below the water and get to the clog if you have standing water. Liquid and granular work well on less stubborn clogs, and all three can take different times to work. Consider the amount of maintenance you usually perform on your pipes when you choose a form.
As long as you upkeep your drainage systems, you shouldn’t have any problems finding an effective drain cleaner to keep the water flowing through at top speed.
Figuring out the best drain cleaners is different for everyone because everyone’s needs and situation is very different. We’ve picked out 10 high-quality options that are safe to use for you to compare the best drain cleaners, and you can use our short buying guide to decide which one will help you tackle your clogs and improve the life of your septic and drainage systems.