Do you have the best ultimate frisbee gear available? It’s surprising how many people go out to play a game and find themselves unprepared. The best ultimate frisbee discs and other equipment can make a huge difference in how well you play, and it can impact your overall performance. You could run well, but your throw would be off because your frisbee is sub-par. Or, you might not get a good enough grip to make those long throws if you don’t have the correct gloves.
It makes sense that you want to invest in the best ultimate frisbee gear available, but there are so many choices out there. You’ll have more fun playing with the entire family when you know you’re playing at your highest level, and this is what this in-depth guide is going to outline. Not only will we give you short reviews of the best ultimate frisbee gear, but we’ll highlight why each piece is important. Before you hit the field, let’s make sure you’re ready by being properly equipped.
Equipping yourself with the best ultimate frisbee gear can help you improve your game, and it’s an excellent investment.
The Best Ultimate Frisbee Gear – Basic Equipment
You can break the best ultimate frisbee gear down into four main categories. You’ll need a good pair of cleats to help you gain traction as you move, a durable frisbee disc that will fly straight, a nice pair of friction gloves that improve your grip, and a bag or backpack to carry all of the best ultimate frisbee equipment you bring with you. Since there are several different types and styles available, it can be challenging to narrow down your choices to the best ones for your needs. We’ll break it down for you below.
Reviewing the Best Ultimate Frisbee Discs
Next on the list of the best ultimate frisbee gear is the disc. You need the right disc to be able to play ultimate frisbee properly, but there are so many choices available. The brand, weight, size, color, and prices all make a difference in your final choice. You have to consider:
- Consistency – The consistency of the frisbee disc refers to how well it flies. Ideally, your disc will fly straight 100% of the time and avoid hitting objects like windows. If it doesn’t, it’s a good indication that you don’t have a high-quality product. In turn, you’ll work harder to get the disc into the basket.
- Durability – Your frisbee disc should be durable enough to withstand wear and tear and the elements like wind, sun, or rain. However, this doesn’t necessarily be thicker or heavier material because this can impact how well it flies.
- Size – Frisbee discs come in a range of different sizes, and you’ll have to adjust both your throwing and catching ability based on the size disc you’re going to play with. A wider disc may give you more control, but it’s easier to launch a smaller disc further distances.
- Weight – Finally, we have weight. Heavier frisbee discs can give you more control on windy days, but you have to work harder to get them to fly long distances. Lightweight discs will fly, but they can get negatively impacted by the weather. Official tournament discs weigh 175 grams, but you can get discs that weigh between 150 and 200 grams.
A well-balanced frisbee disc will help you make those long throws and get it into the basket much faster in all weather conditions.
1. Discraft Yin Yang Frisbee Disc
Weighing it at 175 grams, the Discraft Yin Yang Frisbee Disc was the official disc for the 1991 USA Official Championship Series. The lightweight design makes it more than suitable for both veteran and amateur players, and this best ultimate frisbee disc comes with a well-curved rim that provides you with excellent gripping capabilities.
The slightly larger diameter allows this disc to fly farther in different weather conditions, and it has a build that resists cracking, breaking, and general wear and tear very well. The softer plastic is easy to maintain, and it flies very straight with little effort on your part. Finally, this disc comes with a glow-in-the-dark option for night ultimate frisbee tournaments.
2. Nite Ize Flashflight Multicolored Frisbee Disc
This slightly heavier best ultimate frisbee disc comes in at 185 grams, and it has a glow-in-the-dark design that allows you to play well after dusk. As a bonus, you also get LED lights built right into the disc that come in multicolored, green, and red. The LED lights will glow through dozens of tournaments, and they don’t add a lot of weight to it.
The disc will fly smoothly and maintain a high performance level from the first to the last throw, and it has a durable plastic design that won’t warp or crack. It stands up very well to repeated use and the different elements you could encounter like heat, rain, or humidity. You get a very well-balanced design that comes from a professional ultimate frisbee player.
3. Innova DX Beast Frisbee Disc
Widely regarded as being one of the best ultimate frisbee discs you can buy, you’ll see the DX Beast by Innova in official tournaments and practice arenas around the world. This disc has a very well-balanced construction, and it’ll fit into most hands without a problem because it spans 10.82 inches across with a very well-curved edge.
The textured design provides excellent gripping capabilities that can improve your performance, and it’s not too heavy. This best ultimate frisbee disc weighs between 145 and 175 grams. The colorful design makes it easy to see it in different lighting conditions, and the body resists warping, staining, corrosion, and breaking during extended play.
4. Discraft “USA Ultimate” Ultra-Star Frisbee Disc
Another one by Discraft, the USA Ultimate edition is one of the best ultimate frisbee discs available on the current market. It weighs 175 grams, and this puts it squarely in the official disc weight category. The weight allows it to work well for almost every player. It holds the title of the official ultimate frisbee disc of the Ultimate Players Association Championship Series.
The smooth surface allows you to handle it smoothly and get a fantastic grip. It’s lightweight, but it has a solid construction that ensures it’ll fly straight without being knocked off course by the wind. This disc is 10.75 inches, and this size allows it to fit snugly into sack bags and backpacks. It’s easy to use, easy to learn, and easy to keep in top condition.
Reviewing the Best Ultimate Frisbee Cleats
Next on our list of the best ultimate frisbee gear is the cleats. Lacrosse, soccer, and football cleats are all very popular for people who play this sport because they give excellent traction. However, there are a few things you want to consider when you start to compare cleats, including:
- Price – Prices for cleats will have a huge price range. Screw-in studs are more expensive than molded cleats. The best ultimate frisbee cleats may not necessarily be the most expensive. You just have to find a solid fit and give you the traction you need without breaking your budget.
- Size – In order to perform well, you want to pick out cleats that mold to your foot and fit very well. If they’re too tight or too large, you’ll sacrifice mobility. If you plan to buy them in person, take a pair of socks and shop during the day to get the best fit.
- Stud Design and Type – Studs come in a screwable or permanent design. Screwable ones are what you find in football cleats while the permanent ones are in lacrosse or soccer cleats. As for type, you can choose from hard ground, conical, and blade. Conical give you better stability, bladed give you better traction and speed, and hard ground work best on artificial turf.
- Style – High-tops and low-cut cleats are the two main styles. Soccer and lacrosse cleats have a low-cut style to increase the comfort level, and football cleats have high-tops to give you better support around your ankles.
Picking out the correct cleats for the best ultimate frisbee equipment will ensure you stay comfortable when you play.
1. Adidas Men’s Copa Mundial Cleats
Speed, control, and excellent balance are all very important when you plan ultimate frisbee. You’ll get a competitive edge if you can jump higher, run faster, or stay upright on slippery ground or sod during a tournament, and this shoe will give you all of the competitive advantage you need. It has a sleek low-profile design with a classic black and white color scheme.
The sturdy leather upper design adds a layer of durability to these shoes, and they come with a non-slip synthetic sole that will keep you on your feet. The synthetic lining is very comfortable, and this best ultimate frisbee cleat comes with a die-cut EVA insole. The shoe flexes very easily as you move to improve your traction levels without sacrificing comfort.
2. Under Armour Women’s UA Spine Glyde Cleats
The Under Armour Women’s UA Spine Glyde Cleats are one of the best ultimate frisbee softball cleats that are very effective. They have a very lightweight design that allows you to move quicker around the course while feeling like you have better control of your stopping and accelerating power. They have a black and white color scheme with a synthetic upper that is a very high quality. It protects your feet from bumps, sores, abrasions, and sunburn.
The shoes have excellent breathability to keep your feet cool, and they have a very smooth inner lining. The toe piece protects your feet from accidental abrasions when you move, and it has a molded 4D foam insole that cushions your foot while holding the shoes firmly on your feet. They come in three color choices with bladed metal cleats.
3. New Balance Men’s 3000v3 Baseball TPU Cleats
New Balance’s cleats will ensure you don’t do a lot of falling or slipping as you play. They come in black and black or black and grey color schemes, and these best ultimate frisbee cleats come designed to perform at a high level on men of all ages. They’ll withstand regular abuse, wear, tear, and the elements without breaking down or wearing out.
The upper part of the shoe features a mix of synthetic leather and textile, while the shoe’s sole has a resistant rubber makeup. Both sections are very tightly bonded to keep them together with regular use, and the cleats work well for a variety of sports. The comfortable collar prevents you from rubbing sore spots on your ankles when you play, and it has a sleek toe protector to prevent abrasions.
4. Nike Women’s Hyperactive Diamond Strike Cleats
This bright and colorful cleat from Nike is an excellent pick for the best ultimate frisbee gear. It’s a solid choice for any woman who values performance and comfort during long matches. It has a very good support system in place due to the high-quality leather and synthetic upper. The molded rubber sole allows you to maintain an excellent grip on varying surfaces.
There is a TPU drag cap on the toe of the shoe to enhance your protection, and there is a low-top shape to these shoes that improves stability and balance. The midsole improves the comfort levels of this shoe, and it has a very elegant and durable look and feel. The lightweight design allows for quick movements, and it has a solid construction that’ll last for years.
Reviewing the Best Ultimate Frisbee Friction Gloves
The best ultimate frisbee gear wouldn’t be complete without friction gloves. A nice fitting pair of these gloves will help you grip the frisbee when you play, and this can improve your score. They can also help keep your hands warm when you play in cooler or wet conditions. However, just like everything else one the list, no two friction gloves are the same. You’ll want to consider:
- Breathable – As a general rule, ultimate frisbee friction gloves aren’t very thick because they’re supposed to be breathable. Your hands shouldn’t sweat, and the thinner fabric allows for the highest range of movement possible. All of these things make it easier to grip the disc.
- Fit – The fit will be one of the most important aspects on these gloves. If they’re too loose, they can slip when you catch or release the frisbee. If this happens, it can compromise your grip. Ideally, your friction gloves won’t be too tight to restrict your movement, but they shouldn’t be loose enough to slide around.
- Grip – Friction gloves come with different materials on the fingers and palms, and this material is what improves your grip on the disc. They’re more effective if you have a textured frisbee, but they work well with any type of disc.
- Non-Slip Coating – Finally, take a look at your friction gloves and see if they offer a non-slip coating. This coating makes it easy to grip the frisbee, and it also makes it easier to pull the gloves on and off between uses.
Your friction gloves should fit very well to prevent slipping and dropping the disc.
1. Cutters C-TACK Revolution
These gloves can make your ultimate frisbee tournament more enjoyable, and they’re available in an eye-catching maroon and black color scheme. These best ultimate frisbee gloves are very well suited for catching and throwing the disc, and both professional and amateur players can wear them. The gloves have a thinner material that lets you get a nice feel for the disc.
The outer surface of the gloves has a non-slip coating that prevents you from accidentally dropping the disc in damp or wet weather. The material is resistant to tears, and it has strong stitching along the seams that prevents general wear and tear. Additionally, the gloves will help protect your hands from injuries and friction burns. You can machine wash and dry them to clean them.
2. Under Armour Men’s F5
These best ultimate frisbee friction gloves come in a variety of stylish colors and patterns, and you can choose from several sizes that help you get an excellent grip. These are very versatile gloves that work well for a broad range of sports, including ultimate frisbee. You’ll get full coverage over your hands without restricting your range of motion.
They’ll give you an excellent grip, and they have a lightweight and flexible fabric with a non-slip coating. This reduces the chances of dropping the disc when you play. Despite the fact that these friction gloves use a very thin fabric, it’s thick enough to help keep your hands warm when you use it. They’re also breathable and have excellent airflow.
3. Layout Ultimate Frisbee Gloves
Layout’s best ultimate frisbee gloves are made out of a sharp synthetic leather that will give you a precision grip in any weather conditions. The thin synthetic leather wraps around your hand and allows you to grip onto your disc in snow, rain, or sunny weather. They have a high flexibility level that allows you to put them on and remove them quickly and easily.
The back of the friction gloves have a breathable back that allows for excellent air circulation and keeps your hands from overheating. The palms have excellent insulation that will hold the heat by your hands in cooler weather. The reinforced seams and build are both very durable, and this makes them resistant to common wear and tear. They’re excellent for use around your yard, garden, or in a tournament.
4. Flyers Ult
The Flyers Ult friction gloves are an excellent choice to add to your collection of the best ultimate frisbee gear if you’re worried about knocking, scratching, or getting friction burns on your hands. However, despite the reinforced palm padding, these gloves use thin enough fabric to allow you to grip onto the disc without any worries of accidentally dropping it.
The fabric has a light elastic stretch that makes them cling to your hands like a second glove, but it also makes it easy to take them off and put them on. You won’t feel restricted when you wear them due to the lightweight design, and the interior feels very soft and smooth. There is a water resistant coating on the outside of the gloves that will keep your hands cool and dry.
Reviewing the Best Ultimate Frisbee Bags
Picking out the best ultimate frisbee bag can be a challenge, especially if you’re buying your first one. This can be an investment because they have a huge price range. The key is to find one with all of the space you need to hold your equipment, but it shouldn’t be too bulky. Just like everything else on the list, there are several considerations you should think about, including:
- Capacity/Size – How much equipment do you have? Chances are, you’ll collect quite a bit once you really get into ultimate frisbee. Look for a bag that has a larger capacity or bigger size that can easily fit all of your items with a little room to expand.
- Comfort – It’s essential that your bag is comfortable to carry. Things like padded straps and different strap lengths can really impact how comfortable your bag is. You can get shoulder bags or messenger-style bags.
- Durability/Strength – Your bag should be very durable and strong enough to easily support all of your best ultimate frisbee gear. If you have mesh pockets, make sure that they have reinforced stitching, and double-check the strap connection points. The zippers should be larger, and they should use a high-quality material.
- Material – Ideally, your bag will have a slightly thicker material. This material will have to put up with a lot of weight, and you don’t want it to tear. Things like reinforced bottoms, double-stitching, and a waterproof coating can help it last longer.
Picking out the correct bag can be challenging, but it’s important to pick out a durable one that will last for years.
1. Throwback Sports Throwback Pack 2.0
This larger backpack-style bag has enough pockets to carry between 20 and 25 discs without a problem. Additionally, it has a host of other pockets that will hold everything from jewelry and watches to phones and water bottles. The pockets have an elastic top that allows them to stretch and hold your discs securely while you transport them. The insulated compartment will keep your drinks cold while you play.
The shoulder straps on this bag are very wide to help distribute the weight evenly over your back. They also have extra padding to stop them from cutting into your shoulders. The bottom has a plastic base that keeps the bag from sitting directly on the ground, and it helps to add stability to the bag when you sit it up.
2. Adidas Team Issue Duffel Bag
This resistant and strong best ultimate frisbee bag uses 100% polyester fabric in the makeup, and this makes it an extremely durable choice that’ll withstand wear and tear. It has a larger pocket that will hold your bigger ultimate frisbee gear, and you get several smaller pockets along the sides that will keep your phone and wallet secure while you play.
There is padding in all of the pockets and on the interior of this bag to protect your gear from scratches and nicks, and you’ll get space to hold two water bottles. The shoulder straps feature a webbed design that is very wide, and this keeps you comfortable. Additionally, the bag is very easy to balance when you carry it around the course.
3. Nike Brasilia 6 Duffel Bag
This sleek black and white duffle bag from Nike is a must-have in the best ultimate frisbee gear. It comes in a slightly larger size at 24.5 inches long, 13 inches high, and 12 inches wide. This allows you to fit several discs inside without an issue, and it uses a high-quality polyester material that gives the bag a very light stretch without compromising the durability.
The user-friendly design makes it easy to get your gear in and out between tournaments, and it has pockets for you other items like your cleats or clothing. The sturdy zip pocket has a thicker zipper on it, and you can use a handheld strap or a thick shoulder strap with additional padding to carry it. Finally, the bag comes in several different colors.
4. Fitactic Luxury Frisbee Disc Golf Backpack
Having the ability to hold up to 30 dics, this is one of the best ultimate frisbee bags on the current market. This bag uses 600D nylon fabric in the construction that is extremely durable, and the nylon gives it a very light stretch. The seams feature double stitching to prevent wear and tear, and there are also reinforcements around the zipper.
The bottom of the bag has rubber pads that give the bag a nice stability boost and extra protection when you sit it down on the grass. The shoulder straps are very thick and comfortable, and the back of the bag has an extra layer of padding. There are 11 pockets in this bag that can hold everything from writing pads and phones to watches and pens. It has a very trendy look.
It’s possible to buy the best ultimate frisbee gear as long as you know what to look for when you shop. Our comprehensive list gives you everything you need to make informed decisions, and you can compare the products to find the best ones to suit your needs and improve your game.